9.24.2013

big changes for this little girl!

via.
alright, alright, alright... no more waiting. i finally got around to actually writing this. so, here ya go:

for the last 3 years i have been a social worker in adult services at DSS. i have worked with some of the absolute best people in the world (both coworkers and clients), and i have been rewarded every single day by the work and services that i have been able to provide.
i can honestly say that i have had the best career i could have thought possible upon graduating from college.

with that said- i have always had a passion for children. a passion for helping children that cannot help themselves. a passion for serving those that are without parents. a passion for seeking justice for little souls that have been abandoned and abused by the people they lean on the most. and a passion for uniting children with individuals that will love them.
i went into social work in college with the dream of working with foster care and adoption because of those passions that i have. i was actually voted "most likely to open up an african american adoption agency" by my cheerleading coach my sophomore year in high school, everyone that knows me knows that one day i will work with kids and i will do big things. things i have always wanted to do. i just haven't taken any steps in making it happen yet.
and i have been reminded over the last 3 years on many occasions that i haven't made any move toward this dream- at least any move that's worked out at least. i have mentioned here on le'blog before that i have been ready for a change and i have been looking for something more.

i applied for graduate school this past spring, but was not accepted due to the program only taking 4 applicants. i have struggled with this a lot because i truly thought that grad school was my ticket to my dreams. i have not been able to find any jobs in the foster care or adoption field that will accept just a BSW graduate. and that has been very disheartening.
however, i have turned to the one thing in my life that has never failed me- and that's prayer. God always has our best interest at heart and never, ever lets us down.
that is something i have had to keep reminding myself in order not to get discouraged and keep moving along.

i recently got to the point where i was begging God for something to happen in my life. i needed it more than i feel that i ever have.
and then... an opening at the DSS i am currently employed at came along.
an opening as a foster care social worker III... and i applied.
however, so did one of my closest friends. a friend that already has the foster care experience AND has her masters in social work- double whammy. and i knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that she had it in the bag.
but then... God happened. He took over and He sought out His plan for both of our lives.
she got the open position. but i ALSO was given a position. a position that will be open just in time for my pre-service training to be completed. 
and... WE BOTH START (TOGETHER) ON OCTOBER 7TH!!!! EEEEKKKKKK!!!
i get teared up every time i think about it.
we serve an amazing God ya'll. and this, THIS was all him!!

oh, and my next big dream i want to pursue? africa. an orphanage in africa to be more specific...
via.

28 comments:

  1. WOWOWOWOW girl! That is SO amazing. Congrats!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love. I'm still just so happy for you I can't even stand it! You're going to do GREAT, BIG things, my dear, and you deserve every bit of goodness and happiness that's coming your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAYAYA I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! Big things poppin! :-D you're gonna rock it, obviously. So happy for you girly congrats!!!

    xxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAYYYYYY! That is awesome girl!! SO happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's so amazing! I have always deep down wanted to work in adoption or foster care in some way because I am also adopted :) I am so glad you've found the change you've been needing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! that is so great! And how exciting that you will both be working together :) congrats girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SOOOO excited for you! Such great news and I am so glad that you were patient in waiting and trusted in his plan!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome news, so excited for you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. woo hoo!! YAY. Congrats and best wishes/good luck! Oct 7 is going to be here before you know it

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have goosebumps! CONGRATULATIONS!!! What an awesome opportunity for you! Cannot wait to watch you follow your dream. Everyone who comes in contact with you is going to be SO blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amazing and I am so happy for you. What an amazing opportunity. You are going to do GREAT and BIG things. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww. I am super happy for you! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohhhhh my gosh! SO happy for you and excited about this next chapter. You have such an amazing, caring heart and I love your passion for you kids and families you work with! SOOOOO amazing sweet friend. YAY YAY YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, sweet Julia, you are an angel on earth! I am SO happy for you and proud of you!!!! God really is working in amazing ways in your life. <3 Love you!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woohoo! Best news ever! So excited for you and your friend :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. soo freaking happy for you! Congrats my love, you will be more than amazing for this position!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw yay congratulations!! I worked in foster care for a few years and it was amazing and really helped me grow as a social worker. There are difficult days but it is so worth it- you'll be great!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww I LOVE this!! You and my sister are a lot alike you know. She came so close to not applying because she knew this was for you. She, just as you did, gave it to God and let him show off :) I'm truly thrilled for BOTH of you!! Thanks Jesus :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. CONGRATULATIONS girl!!! This is such exciting news, and has come at the perfect time in your life. I am so happy for you and the Plan our sweet Lord has for you - you are going to make a difference in so many little lives xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats girl! He always has a plan for us! So happy for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. So awesome! congrats girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats!!! I am so happy for you! I love seeing God's wonderful and perfect plan unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  24. omgosh this is great!! :)) I am happy for you! & need a blog friend to help with the orphanage in Africa?? I'm in!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. reading this seriously late, but wow that's amazing and congrats!!

    ReplyDelete