6.06.2013

poppin' pills...

okay fine, they're vitamins.

flinstone gummies and vitamin c wafers were an every day chore growing up.
my mother would seriously shove them down our throats hand them to us with breakfast every single morning.
as a kid i hated them only because they were something that we had to do. 
so as i got older and i started making my own decisions (mis-matched socks, britney spears dance offs, and AIM screen name choices) 
i quickly ditched the whole vitamin taking thing and never looked back.
such a rebel.

when i finally started to realize that my health was somewhat of an important thing (post college obviously)
because this was me from 2006-2010...
healthy lifestyle i was living in those 4 years... ha.

i really started looking into what my body was missing out on about 3 years ago.
like i said- post college.
and not for any reason in particular. just because i got curious.
i asked my regular doctor, my "female" doctor, and my mother (who knows all)
what would be best for me at this time in my life...
and i finally got myself on a vitamin regimen that works for me.

ya'll i can't believe i went so long without taking vitamins on a daily basis.
when i skip a day without taking them i can always tell a huge difference in the way i feel and even in my mood.

because of this i wanted to share with you what i take every morning.
granted, this will be different for each person- considering not one body is alike... 
but some of these are pretty common.
*consult with your doctor before starting anything though!
because i am by no means a medical professional- ha.

women's one daily:// a good combination of everything extra that women need.
pretty simple concept. plus it has folic acid in it for anyone that thinks they one day might want kids,
which helps prevent neural tube defects and must be taken prior to conception.
biotin:// for the hair, skin, and nails- this stuff is my favorite.
prenatals are also good for this! and no, you don't have to be preggo my leggo.
vitamin b:// gives your metabolism a little boost and gives you energy. 
it's also good for hangovers.
vitamin d:// immune support. so yours truly isn't sick all of the time.
or just go lay in the sun- that works too.
gingko biloba:// promotes circulation, helps you focus, and keeps that memory on point.
because sometimes i think i have ADD and this helps.
st. john's wort:// hello mood adjuster, my boyfriend thanks you.

i also take vitamin c and echinacea when i think i may be getting a cold.
and melatonin for sleepless nights.
but i don't take any of those on a daily basis.

oh and the thought of the original vitamin c wafers from the 80's still makes my mouth water. 
i loved those things! and now i can't find them anyyyywhere! 
so if you happen to stumble upon them- send them my way!

what are some vitamins you take on a regular basis?

16 comments:

  1. I'm loving the new adult gummy vitamins that are out now - swallowing horse pills is not for me! Be careful with the St. John's Wort... I've heard it can interfere with birth control - eek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow. I don't take a single vitamin except vitamin C when I feel a cold coming on. I definitely need to get on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I've started a vitamin regime, I end up stopping/forgetting. When do you take your vitamins so you don't forget to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started taking vitamins a few weeks ago. Just a daily and a probiotic, I may add a few from your list!
    Thanks for this!

    20somethingbusinesswoman.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Julia, I am seriously impressed at your daily vitamin dosage girl. Well well done! I absolutely HATE taking any form of pill so I don't take anything - I had to force feed myself the preggo vitamins for those 9 months... Yuk!!

    I think I need to change my tune now... x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally used tot ake prenatal vitamins, HA. Everyone laughed at me but they do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow you really take a lot!!! but that's awesome. I am SOOOO bad about taking my vitamins. and i'm prescribed calcium since I broke my ankle and I even forget that! I am the worst, but this is a great reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My doctor told me all I needed was 2 gummy vitamins each day. It is so weird how I look forward to those little treats every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I love that you mis-match your socks. I refuse to wear the same pair, they have to be different! And I love my women's one daily! It makes me feel so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have ADD and my doctor recommended Gingko Biloba. Totally works. I'm the worst at taking vitamins but I'm trying to find a regimen! I'm trying some right now that are a mixture of vitamins and some good-for-you herbs? Who knows if it's working or not though, because I forget to take it 4/5 days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great. I seriously need to take vitamins, I'm just lazy! I know, terrible excuse. But, also, I have heard what Tamara said about st. johns and birth control!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have made me realize that I am slacking in the vitamin department. Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. root beer - thats my vitamind of choice! really thought I don't take vitamins...but maybe I should start gettin' on that train!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all these tips! I take vitamin d and c, and a woman's vitamin from Arbonne that promote healthy and clear skin. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I start one but never finish it
    BEcause I don't absorb my electrolytes properly I take calcium & magnesium at night if I exercised and potassium right after I exercised.
    I do take wine often.
    Thanks for the list, I think I am going to investigate getting into a good routine with these.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just got back from the store with a bunch of vitamins and a pill organizer so I can be held accountable for actually taking them.

    Do you find that the St. John's Wort works? I have some but I've never taken them.

    ReplyDelete