8.07.2013

greek is greek: delta zeta has my heart.

i really was struggling with what to write about for today. i even considered focusing on the camel hump day commercial in honor of wednesday. that is until i stumbled upon something ten million times better...
kristyn's greek for greek link up.
"the purpose of this link up was to meet other Greek bloggers and celebrate both our individual Greek affiliations as well as the bond we share as Panhellenic and Greek women."

hello. greek alum right here. (waves hands in the air and jumps around like a crazy person)

if you know anything about me then you know that my days as a delta zeta sister were, and always will be, my favorite. the memories made and the friends i met in those 4 years are ones that i will forever cherish (and will always wish that i could re-create).
i was initiated into delta zeta in the spring of 2007 at western carolina university.
i had honestly never considered joining a sorority until my seemingly perfect little life came crumbling down my freshman year of college. i had found myself in the middle of the biggest heart break of my life and i was no longer living under the comfort of my parent's home. let's just say that things were different.
my best friend from high school, whom you all may recognize as a sweet southern wife, is 2 years older than i am. so naturally she had already been at western for 2 years and was settled into her fun little college career.
she had also joined delta zeta not long before i came along.
she knew me (and still knows me) like the back of her hand and insisted that i start coming around those sorority girls "just to get to know some of them".
and i did, albeit a little reluctant at first... and i fell in love with everything about the foundation, the sisterhood, and the people.
and the rest is history and a million pictures.

from the college days...
of the brown hair and the chubbyyy cheekies.

to the more current...
with better hair and slimmer cheekies.

i still know what most of these women are up to.
thanks social media. i'm your biggest fan.


these women are the reason that i have attended 91899734098 weddings since i graduated. not that i'm complaining or anything.
they're usually more fun than one could imagine (or a liver could want).

and of course i have gone to every. single. homecoming. known to man to reunite with these ladies (and i probably will until i land myself in a retirement home in hawaii).


to be honest... i truly had not found myself until i found delta zeta. my sisters and my sorority transformed me into the person that i am today, and i will forever be grateful for that. i learned more than i could have ever imagined from those women and our experiences. i can say, without a doubt, that going greek was one of the best decisions i ever made!

from the outside looking in, you can't understand it. from the inside looking out, you can't explain it.

Carolina Fireflies

16 comments:

  1. I just love Greek life. It gave me some of my favorite memories in college for sure, and life long friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so in love with you & you are one of many lovely ladies that brought me into Greek life you always seemed so happy and in every class knew somebody & I wanted that so bad!!! It was also the best decision I made & the most amazing memories were made during those years!!! Love love love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is just so sweet! love it, being in a sorority is so fun! lovin the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the pictures! Makes me kind of wish there were sororities in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!!! I have been following your blog for a bit now, and the reason I feel like I connected with you was because you are a DZ. I am a DZ alum from San Diego State Gamma Omicron chapter. Seeing the letters in the pics take me back instantly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such cute pictures and memories! DZ love for life <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't have sororities in South Africa. I am so sad that I missed out on this experience. IT looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I work for USC, so I can volunteer as an alum during spirit week and rush week...and my boss (who's a DZ too)and I will sometime bust out the rush songs. DZ love and all of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this makes me so happy GG :) I miss you so much & can't wait to see you at Homecoming this year. You truly are the ideal Delta Zeta woman, and I'll always look up to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!! here from the link up and...I'm a DZ too!! Cal State Fullerton Iota Upsilon chapter...I'm currently the recruitment advisor which is fun, but weird to be back....and that's crazy to meet up every year at homecoming...we don't have that but would love that!! DZ love :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I would have been in a sorority! It looks so freaking fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww so funnnn! I definitely wish I had joined a sorority, looking back! It was always something I considered and looks like a total blast! Oh well, I have my very own sorority sister in YOU, cutie pie! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. she's my big, she's my big... no BIG deal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad that I found your blog. I am DZ Alumnae in Arizona. I can't wait to stalk your blog more.

    Xo
    Jessa @ Life of A Sports Wife

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a DZ from TX! Love all your fun pictures. I am forever grateful for my experience too. It really helped to bring me out of my "shell" :)

    ReplyDelete