2.06.2013

on valentines day.

wanna know what holiday i have a hard time with...
valentine's day.
and no, it's not just because i'm single.
thank you very much.

it's because i believe in a love that is so true and genuine that you don't need one specific day to show it. 
it's something that i believe should be so obvious to the other person...
 that february 14th is just one more day.
yeah... flowers, candy, and teddy bears are nice.
but i'm not exactly that kind of girl.
take my car and get it detailed, then take me out to dinner.
that's the way to my heart. no lie.

now, with that being said... 
and in order to really try and sound like i'm not completely contradicting myself here.
i DO like the crafts and sweetsies that come with valentines day.
and the feeling i used to get in grade school when i got to make my own paper mail box
for all of the cards and candy from my class mates.
i loved getting to color, cut, glue, and craft all day instead of doing your school work.
and picking out the best box of character cards and lollipops at wal-mart.
then getting to add that extra heart next to the boy(s) names you really liked.
that's what i love about 2/14.
not the over the top, extravagant, lovey dovey ish that people these days feel obligated to do for their significant other.
surprise me on july 23rd, or november 10th with something special... 
not february 14th when the rest of the world is doing it.
i just realized i probably sound like a valentines day grinch.
whatevs. gimme dos heart shaped brownies and nobody gets hurt.
via.

by the way and completely off topic...
remember that day i was the worst blogger in history and didn't have time to link up for my own da-jim link up? 
yeah. i remember that day like it was yesterday.
oh wait... it was yesterday.

i am blaming it on my lack of internet at home 
(i know it's the 21st century and all- judge me).
my data limited iphone 
(thanks verizon. i hate you).
and a day spent in training 
(state jobs and programs are great until they want you in full trainings every time you turn around).
so yeah, worst blogger award goes to me- for yesterday.
boo.
xoxo.

15 comments:

  1. oh the paper mail boxes in elementary school!! did all of yours get hung up on the chalkboard ledge? thats where ours went. that was SO fun!! and it was nice because EVERYONE got a little soemthing. awww so fun. me and my hub don't really do too much for v-day.. we celebrate the day before since thats the day we got engaged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl...I feel you! Surprise me on another day. But I am probably a v-day grinch too. and not cuz I am close to 30 and single either. I loved making valentines in grade school, and the mailboxes we got to make were the best too! <3

    Lindsey
    www.lifeoncountryside.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you 500%. Valentine's day is for the birds. I really do just kind of use it as an excuse to buy presents (and get them, but whatevs) and go to a nice dinner. But it's not like we don't do that anyway. People who do all the lovey dovey crap on valentine's day and don't go out of their way to make their significant other feel special anytime other than valentine's day drive me bananas...I can't decide if they annoy me or just make me sad. Anyway I'm a bit of a grinch too. But I still dig the presents ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way! I don't understand why all that has to happen on just one day. I told my bf I wanted roses on random days instead of him spending 3x as much on Vday and he looked at me like I was crazy. Boys just don't understand that there needs to be an element of surprise with romance. It was probably a male who invented Valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree, girl! A little acknowledgement is nice, but little surprises should be year round!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always felt that way about V-Day and I have a Valentine! It just is too commercialized for me. The best Valentines day I ever got- a Spiderman bucket filled with my favorite watermelon ring pops and a TMNT tee! Awww, high school! Boyfriend and I are doing Valentines day this year but we're doing very non traditional gifts- I got him tickets to see Brian Regan live when he comes to town! Wahoooo! Im not a flowers girl. Its nice but it doesnt involve any real thought on VDay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just read through some of your posts and i think we might be twins. i love your blog! so glad i found it :)

    -Emma
    chasingtexas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ughhhh now I really want to make a paper box mailbox! I am going to make one anyway & set it out on my desk at work & hope for some suckers!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a BF and I still hate valentines day. He has forgotten the day altogether a couple times which doesn't help the situation. I think i'll boycot and wear all black this year, haha!

    Just found your blog and I love it :)

    astoldbykendahl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh dwight you never fail to be spot on and totally right about everything. and boys please dont forget about the romance the other 355 days of the year valentines day shouldn't be the excuse to romance it up just one day

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in complete agreement with you on valentines day! If Joel got me chocolates and a stuffed animal I would be rather disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm heart shaped brownies. I'll take those any day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel the same way about feeling loved all days but that doesn't mean you should boycott valentines day! It's just one extra special day on a list of many :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. For some reason, Valentine's Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. I guess because I've never thought of it as exclusively for romantic love (though that's fun, too), but just as a day to celebrate L-O-V-E. And really, what's better!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahah! I was just talking about this the other day! When we all try to go out people like to ask "Where should we eat?" and Im like "I dont care!" because honestly I don't and the other person says "Well, you get to choose!" it's my WORST NIGHTMARE!

    ReplyDelete