2.14.2013

saw it, pinned it, did it: valentines day poke cake.

YA'LL, something crazy has happened.
i'm talking straight up cray cray.
this girl is actually excited for valentines day.
i even did my nails for the occasion.
and that says something right there.

no, it's not because i have big romantic plans.
it's because my roommate is a valentine's day nazi fan and is forcing me to love it just like she does haha.
mary you know it's true. and i love you for it.
last night while baking the most amazing cake in the world that mary found on pinterest, 
i realized i was seriously looking forward to celebrating a day of love.
not love a romantic, relationship love. just love in general.

so today i am dressed in my pink and purple.
with my freshly painted festive nails.
having an all day valentines day party at work
...where my poke cake is making it's appearance.
going to surprise an old client at the nursing home.
and then having a valentines day party at the house tonight.
i'm ready love day, i'm ready.

oh ... you want the recipe to my amazing cake too?

start by grabbing some napkins for the drool coming out of your mouth.

here's what you'll need...
1 box red velvet cake mix
(and the ingredients to make it- oil, eggs & water)
2 boxes jello
4 cups of milk
1 8oz tub frozen whipped topping (thawed in fridge)
10 (or in my case 20) oreo cookies- crushed

here's what you do...
bake your red velvet cake according to the directions on the box.
i really hope i don't have to walk you through that...
 allow to cool 5-10 minutes.

take the end of a wooden spoon 
(or utensil of your choice as long as it's big enough to make decent sized holes)

and poke as many, or as little, holes throughout the cake as you please. 
make sure you get to the bottom of the cake though.

now, in a medium bowl mix together your cheesecake jello packets and your 4 cups of milk.

let the pudding sit for a minute just so it's not a complete runny mess.
and then pour your pudding on top of the cake making sure you cover all of the holes.
i used the back of a spoon to smoothe it out over the cake. 
you want the pudding to get in each of the holes you've created.

now put your cake in the fridge and let it sit for about an hour.
you want it to cool enough so that your layer of whipped topping goes on easily.
take this time to finish painting your nails, watch Nashville, refill your wine, etc.

once your cake has cooled.
take it out and add your layer of whipped topping.

if you haven't already crushed your oreos, now would be the time to do so.
the original recipe said to put the oreos in a baggie and crush them with a rolling pin.
we were out of plastic baggies... so my hands were put to work.
good thing the rooms and i are fattys and we had an almost empty carton of oreos sitting around.
so i ate used the rest of them and used the empty tray to keep my crushed cookies in.

once that is done... you top your cake with the oreos.
 clearly i couldn't leave an inch uncovered, but you do what you want.

and you have now successfully made the ultimate valentine's day red velvet poke cake!
and gained 10 lbs.

find the original pin here.
and then go link up your pinterest projects with katie and steph!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!
from the vday grinch herself ;)
xoxo

23 comments:

  1. Oh.My.Word!!!! That looks sinful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks delish! Happy valentines day!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMM! Looks sooo good! My husband would LOVE this! Your nails are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the nails! I might have to copy you;) and that cake looks amazing. I need to make it asap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG... I'm coming up the mountain right now! I need this now! And you go girl, I, too, am loving just a day love "love" - family love, friendship love... its all good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your festive nails! And oh my this recipe looks seriously amazing! I will be tryin this! Do you store it in the fridge when not eating?

    ReplyDelete
  7. this just made me drool a little! so much for my diet haha

    love your blog, new follower
    joanna-dan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks SO good! I'm going to make this on Saturday! Yumm! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cake looks bomb diggity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. SHUT UP. I want some of that delish in my belly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy YUM. Anything with oreos in it belongs in my belly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks amazzzzing! Your nails look cute too :) Happy Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My god, that looks dangerous but OH SO DELICIOUS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ummmm can you please send some of that cake to me in the mail?! Oreos are my faaaave. and so are you! Happy V day, missy! Love the nails, p.s.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do a sister a favor and mail me half of that cake. Oh my wordddddd. That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, great. Now I have to go to the store and get all those ingredients.... shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need this!!!!!!!!! like pronto

    ReplyDelete
  18. That cake looks AMAZING! I need that ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my gosh, that CAKE. That looks so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I just gained 5 pounds looking at this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your nails! And the cake looks delicious, I need to make that asap!

    ReplyDelete