7.25.2013

Guest Post: Southern in the City.


Hello! 
I'm Elizabeth and I blog over at Southern in the City.
I know Julia because she is my big sister in Delta Zeta Sorority! 
She was the person I looked up to most during my collegian years and I wanted to be just like her!


Being an active member of Delta Zeta and my collegian years was such an amazing chapter of my life but it has recently closed.
This past May I graduated from college... left my life in North Carolina... and moved to New York City.


There are always a couple of questions I get when I tell people I left. 
1. Do you know anyone in New York? 
No. I know no one. I'm kinda winging it!
2. Are you scared? I mean you've lived in NC and have been a southern girl your whole life! 
I'm terrified. I never know what tomorrow is going to bring and yes making this move has been very scary. But I'm making it work and although i've officially moved up north (Almost 2 months now!) i'm still bringing my southern values which I hold dear. 
3. What do you miss most? 
That's easy. My parents, Sweet tea, and my sorority sisters! 

Since I've moved here my life has been a whirlwind and every day has been a complete adventure and learning experience. 
I've had to try and grasp public transportation. 


And walking everywhere! 
OH and finding a job. 
I went to job interviews at 
Seventeen 
US Weekly
Hollywood.com
InTouch
Life & Style 

And finally got an internship at InTouch and Life & Style. 
Oh here's my first article I helped with!!!


When I'm not at InTouch I'm working to pay the bills at a 2 million dollar spa called Juvinex.
It is a 24 hour spa and it's not my favorite BUT I have to pay the bills! 
My work week = little food, little sleep
But I have refused to let myself get into a rut and just work/sleep. 
Moving here has been...


Full of new friends...

Scenery that could be painted 

Laughing until I cry...


Incredible shows 


New things to see every day 


delicious food



Lots of being goofy 




amazing drinks


and did I mention great new friends? 


But I almost didn't make it to New York. 
A little over a year ago I was engaged to be married. 
Certain things happened and we both respectfully went our separate ways. 
At the time I felt like I was being punished. 
That I had done something so wrong and God was punishing me by taking away the one person I loved more than anything, my best friend. 
Right before I moved to NYC I began to think about what my life would have been like if I had been married this past January like I had planned. 
I believe God saw something more for me. A greater plan than at the time I could even see for myself. 
I have no anger towards people who are my age getting married... it could totally be the path they are suppose to be on... but God had a different plan for me right now. 
When I think of all my hardest times through my college career it seems so clear now in hindsight this is where I was suppose to be all along. 
My list of blessings moving here has just continued to prove that this was the right path. 
So I hope you have enjoyed my guest post today and will continue to follow my journey, struggles, and triumph making it in NYC and hopefully breaking into the magazine business over at my blog! 
I'll just keep trying to find my place as a Southern girl in the City. 





1 comment: